USE MUSIC TO KILL is a collection of over two hundred paintings, photographs, drawings and collages in Phil’s distinctive style, from a career that has spanned fine art, portraiture, illustration, fashion photography, film and music.
This book has been a very long time coming, pushing its way through, among other things, five months of Covid-19 and the Chinese State Censors. But I am so happy with it. Grant gave me enormous leeway regarding content, format and design, and one of the benefits is that this is a fantastically dense, layered, comprehensive package. I hope that it not only pleases but also surprises.
Phil Hale, September 2020
INSIDE THE BOOK:
- PLATE SIGNED – by Phil Hale is tipped in on the last page
- PAINTINGS – from Phil’s solo shows in London, Tokyo and New York
- DRAWINGS – including new robot designs for Johnny Badhair gaming project
- PHOTOGRAPHY – Phil’s distinctive black and white cut-ups commissioned for fashion shoots featuring Lily Cole and Magnus Carlsen for a G-Star global campaign, Peaky Blinders star Paul Anderson and other projects including work for Dazed & Confused, and Another Man Magazine.
- FILM – behind the scenes creature design shots for Phil’s short film project Ziggurat
- TEXT – foreword by science fiction writer Michael Moorcock, conversations with the artist and award winning short story writer Adam Marek and artist & illustrator Ashley Wood. Essay on the nature of violence in art by Dr Michiko Oki and commentary by Texas–based musician Bob Schneider.
Hardcover with dust jacket, sewn pages and square spine
This item has a shipping surcharge of $3